Destination wedding photography -
Styles and aesthetics, tips, do's and don'ts
Photography is the only medium with which your overseas wedding day will still be alive and unforgetable. As a result of that fact, the choice of the most suitable photographer for you is a key element. Your best memories will be recorded, so make sure you choose wisely.
Your destination wedding pictures will become precious memories and mementos for your children and grandchildren to enjoy, why not choose the best possible photographer you can? Even if you have to reach a little above your budget, your pictures are not the place to skimp.
Wedding photography is nowadays a respected photographic area, which is escorted by creativity, quality, perfectionism (and the opposite, of course), competitions, associations, organizations, etc. A wedding is probably the only event in our world that is known and applied to every culture and nation. Sometimes it is regarded as the most important fact in somebody's life.
Wedding photography has many styles and aesthetics, wedding photojournalism photography, fashion wedding photography, glamour wedding photography, traditional wedding photography, experimental wedding photography, to mention but a few.
Filtering wedding photographers
Many times a photographer has his own unique style which is a result of a mixture of the above. First, you need to define which style and asthetics is the one that you are looking for, which one suits you better and meets your expectations. Then, you need to research and filter the photographers and the quality of their photography.
The photographer's website is the mirror of his style, his aesthetics, the general quality of his work, even, to some extent, his personality. Photography is a discipline that belongs to the Art & Design area and therefore the presentation that the photographer chooses for his work not only is vital but it is part of his work. A badly designed website is most likely one that will include bad quality photography.
It is not necessary that you have to find a photographer that is based in your city, not even in your country... International or Destination wedding photographers are willing to undertake any destination wedding project anywhere in the world (you have to expect to cover all the travelling and acomodation expenses though).
The photographer's work quality is very important but equally important is his character and personality; after all, during your overseas wedding day you are going to spend more time together with your photographer than even with your friends or relatives. Read the signs, are they formal in their emails, sound professional, honest, sense of humour? In a few words...do you think you can rely on him or her?
Your Wedding Photographer can make or break your day. The photographer is going to be your colleague on that day, not your employee.
Presentation, negotiations, questions and answers
Let's say that you found the photographer/s you would prefer to photographically cover your wedding abroad. It is time for negotiations, questions and answers...
- Does he/she provide you with high resolution images? If not, then you have to calculate the expenses for prints, reprints and enlargements. How much will he/she be charging you everytime you need something?
- Photo Book or Digital album? It is a matter of taste. I personally find Photo Books more elegant.
- Slideshow? Is it provided or even included in the price?
- Prints? As long as the photographer hands in high resolution photoshop adjusted images, you don't have to worry about that.
- Is there a second photographer included in the price and if not, what is the price? Bear in mind that the second photographer's job may be assistive but it may also provide you with even better images (and more).
- Location studio or TTD (Trash The Dress)? Included and/or how much does it cost? If you are not familiar with those terms, location studio is the photographic session before and/or after the wedding, sometimes addressed as portraits or portraiture. Trash The Dress is the more adventurous variation.
Since we mentioned all of the above you need to clarify what you would like to get from the photographer, whether you want Photo Books, Albums, Slideshows, Prints, etc., and how many. Of course, all the above has to do with presentation and therefore the most important thing is the quality of the images themselves!
What you give is what you get
As in almost everything in life, the rule "what you give is what you get" apllies to overseas wedding photography as well. A few tips in order to lower the price follows:
- Consider a weekday wedding overseas. Many professional wedding photographers charge less for weekday weddings.
- Consider the "Shoot & Burn" photographic service. This is a service in which the photographer submits only photoshop adjusted high resolution images and sometimes a slideshow as well. You may not get photobooks or albums but you can always order them at a later stage or even spend time and make them yourselves using one of the many websites that offer that service at very low prices. It is better to cooperate with a high quality photographer on a "shoot & burn" aggreement than with a low quality photographer that offers everything but, at the end of the day... nothing.
- Consider getting married abroad during "out of season" months. Many professional destination wedding photographers charge less for winter weddings.
In a few words
- Choose wisely
- Your wedding photographs are one of the few things from your wedding abroad that will last forever!
- Define the wedding photography style you prefer
- The photographer's website and blog show his/her creativity and professionalism
- Do not limit your search within your neighbourhood photographers, consider also Destination Wedding Photographers
- The images are far more important then the presentation
- Make clear what sort of presentation you require (photobook, album, slideshow, etc.)
- Let the quality be your priority and not the quantity
- Have in mind that as in everything in life "what you give is what you get"
Athanasios Papadopoulos is an award-winning Destination Wedding Photographer and Travel Photographer.
Master in Photography (London Guildhall University), member of International Photographic Associations, his images are characterized by an impeccable aestheticism and technical perfection.
His work has been featured at well known and prestigious magazines, websites, image banks, media and blogs.
Athanasios is based in Greece and he is availiable on wedding assignments worldwide.